Saturday 4 March 2006

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing a bit of reading and found this quote.

"The artist is not a person endowed with free will who seeks his own ends, but one who allows art to realize its purposes through him. As a human being he may have moods and a will and personal aims, but as an artist he is "man" in a higher sense - he is "collective man," a vehicle and moulder of the unconscious psychic life of mankind." (from 'Psychology and Literature', 1930)

 

I'm very interested in reading well at the moment I think its because I need to be a bit more intellectual if Im to do this degree course next year.  I suddenly realised that Im not very well read.  So I've asked my tutor to give me a reading list. He gave me some ideas to look up and whilst I was looking up I found the above quote which after a reading it a couple of times reads very well. What do you all think? Sometimes I feel a little nieve and that I should really be able to understand such quotes and writing.  I have been looking at Carl Jung  a Psychologist - very interesting stuff as I learn more I will let you know - heavy reading at the moment!!!! hee hee

 

Also my tutors said I should read about the shaman  - they said I should read about that then walk in the woods and I might have a different view!!! Well thats interesting I will have a go - basically folks Im trying to educate myself a bit LOL - wonder how long that will last.   

 

Bit heavy for a Saturday morning LOL

Love Laine xxxx

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on ya! Laine
I'm always trying to 'improve my mind' (lol)
and wanting to 'learn more' wished I'd done more at your age, but you're never too old eh?
Allan's gone into Derbyshire in the early hours, taking pics of the snowfall that we had yesterday! brrrrrrrr
Enjoy the rest of the Weekend...
Aileen....X

Anonymous said...

The words bollocks and bullshit spring to mind as I read it - I agree partly with statement in  so far as art flows through us and we are conduits for our creativity - the muse if you like at work within us.......but man in a higher sense belongs to the social darwnism of the time and the (name escapes me) got it - the theory of eugenics.

Learning, reading and education are skills for life. A passion.  It's not a question of being intellectual but I think I know what you mean. Jung is interesting but very out of date.

There is no right place to begin. Just read  like there is no tomorrow! Get the passion fior learning and the rest is easy. ;)

Anonymous said...

Learning comes of being interested in everyone and everything ,asking questions and yes reading! reading what holds your interest though otherwise its a chore........Jan xx

Anonymous said...

with your inquisitive mind ~ you are learning something every day ~ your own perspective is what I have been enjoying about your journal ~ your excitement at new  images you have in your own mind ~ read all the books you want but never lose yourself that is important ~ I am sure all the great artists never had to read books to better their work ~ it came from within them selves ~ Ally

Anonymous said...

I'm not really in to all the heavy reading but I do like educational books, learning more about geology and the world around us. Have a great weekend! Jeannette.  

Anonymous said...

So good that you like to read!!!! I love reading also, but i read the simple stuff LOL.
Hugs,
SUGAR

Anonymous said...

Carl Jung is fantastic ~ you will enjoy him tremendously!
I agree. Read, Read Read!!!!
Dianna

Anonymous said...

To be honest with you I did think the quote was a bit heavy but then I don't tend to understand such things LOL........Good luck with the heavier reading :)