Tuesday 10 January 2006

Meet an artist

Thought I would paste in a picture of an artist who I have been interested in recently.  His name is Peter Doig - he is a modern painter - he has had exhibitions recently at the Saatchi and The Victoria Miro Gallery in London.  What do you think guys? This picture is called 'girl in white with trees' and was painted with oil on canvas 2001-2002.

Here's a bit of blog about Peter Doig:

1959 born Edinburgh, lives and works in Trinidad

Developed from film stills, footage of actual events or photographs of urban and rural environments, Peter Doig's paintings emanate a quiet nostalgia, triggering a lingering sense of a long forgotten memory. His work often deals with subjects at the fringes of normality, peripheral or marginal sites, unnamed places where the urban and natural worlds collide. Nominated for the Turner Prize in 1994 and winner of the John Moores Foundation Prize the previous year, Doig is known for his innovative exploration of the formal and thematic possibilities of landscape. His rigorous approach to surface, texture and colour puts him among the most inventive painters of his generation.

So a little art lesson for you all LOL.

Well I'm in the studio tomorrow so its all exciting for me today!! I still dont know what Im going to do - Im really into this journal stuff - now you know these modern artists today seem to be able to do their art about anything - wonder if I could do mine all about journals - or about my trees and how they connected me with all you wonderful people.  hmmmmm dont know!!! LOL

Love Laine xxxx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The painting is different - I love trees - and The artist has put his own definition into his painting ....I would love to see it "live" photographs never do them justice...thanks for sharing......Ally

http://journals.aol.co.uk/ally123130585918/Lifewithally

Anonymous said...

Lost my comment.
Sigh.
I was trying to say it looks good.
But you really need to see painitings or exhibits in the flesh.
Like Dali's works - the photos never do the real thing justice.

Anonymous said...

It's cool!  I'm so enthralled with trees though, I couldn't NOT like it!
:)

Enjoy your day in your studio tomorrow.  Can't wait to hear about it.

Anonymous said...

I like it, it has a lot of detail in it. I don't usually like modern art, I prefer the old masters like Rembrandt but this one I do like! Jeannette. http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

Oooo.........interesting painting!!  I must say I'm a bit of a silly person when it comes to art, I may learn something reading your journal :-)